Saturday 1 September 2012

Curly Aspirations

I've been thinking a lot about going natural lately. During the exams period I had some braids that looked very natural and I got loads of compliments. I even got mistaken for a fashion designer once, hehehe. (I must have been looking exotic). All this positivity had me thinking I could actually pull this feat off.


But when I tell people that I am going to stop relaxing my hair the responses I receive vary. They range from raised eyebrows and  LOLs, to "it won't suit you" , "your face is too small "and "you're too adventurous for natural hair".                                                                                 
                                                                          
I love being told I can't do something, so I can accomplish it and come back with a report and not say I told you so. So naturally, pun intended, I became more determined.
But I decided there wasn't going to be any big chop (BC) for me, no matter how liberating it's said to be. I didn't feel particularly bound or imprisoned, so thanks but no thanks. I only want a curly change because I've gotten bored with my relaxed hair, because it isn't down to my back yet. I've developed a passion for big, curly hair. Think Scary Spice.
my hair in it's hey days....

Also, I remember how I looked in high school, I'm not going back to that 'little girl look'...not until I'm old enough to make it count,lol. When asked to guess my age people always stay within the18 - 21 bracket, until very recently. Now I get 22s and 23s. If I slack by showing up with short natural hair I fear I might backslide to 12 - 14 -______-

So I went to see the lady who had been hooking me up with all the lovely braid styles, because she's a great natural hair stylist (if you want her contact details let me know). She does my friend Amakie's hair most of the time and her hair always looks great.
Amazing Amakie

I had been doing my research and reading blogs:   6-foot-long-hair  * Transitioning movement * Curly Nikki * guyanesesista for advice. My grand plan was to keep both textures for as long as I could and cut off the relaxed ends when I felt it was long enough to style. Once I had gained enough length to style it on it own, then I'd cut the relaxed end off. That was my well thought out plan.
She proposed that I cut it all off. But I insisted on sticking to my plan. So she suggested cutting my hair a bit, so my hair would grow faster and not break.
Sounded reasonable to me....


                                                                            o_O

It's obvious that hairdressers don't use imperial or metric measures. They use light years!!! 


There were some hysterics, maybe a attempt at rejoining the hair, but none of that is important now.
I love changing up my look and going natural won't change that. I think it's going to facilitate a lot of new looks. I can't wait! Honestly though, I think this is going to be a test of wits [my hair has always had a will of its own], maybe I'll finally have no choice but to learn the elusive virtue of patience. Keeping an eye on other newbies, like naturalista gh because I'm going to need lots of reminders why I wanted to do this in the first place,lol. I've also been told that it's easier to go natural when you live outside Africa, because of availability of products, etc. *scratches head* I guess I'm gonna find out about all this and more.
Stay tuned :D

ps. Somewhere in the world Miss Fizz of LITK is probably rotfl at me for my previous belligerence. 

3 comments:

  1. Visit www.missproudlynatural.co.uk or as @MsBlakofe for " help "

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Gameli I didn't find as much info as I'd like, but thanks tho x

    ReplyDelete

Don't be lazy, even I managed to write this. Say something.
Thanks for commenting x always good to hear from you xx